Monday 24 January 2011

black and white

Yesterday we watched the long-awaited "Black swan" by Darren Aronofsky with one of my favourite actresses - Natalie Portman - playing the main character. I had really huge expectations, since everyone was talking and writing about how amazing this picture would be, and that it's a masterpiece, and that Portman presents the role of her life etc...
The movie was good indeed, very good. Thrilling, sometimes even scary, so I had to cover my eyes ;) Natalie was at her best, really an extraordinary performance, and she definitely is the Oscar winner this year.
The audio-visual side of the movie was also incredibly beautiful and emotional. The growing tension and main character's drowning into chaos and insanity are perfectly expressed in the shaky, sometimes slightly blurred pictures, the game of dark and bright colours.
Nina, played by Portman, tries to open herself for the new, double role she is going to play - the white and the black swan. The road though turns out to be self-destructive: on one hand, Nina aims to be perfect and she seems to be able to do everything to reach the very top of her capabilities. On the other, however, searching for and exploring her dark, sensual, limitless side means leaving her true, innocent image behind and changing herself forever. Sacrifice of the self, laid down on the altar of the ambition of the same self...
I guess my expectations might have been a tiny bit too big, because I felt a little disappointed in the end. But only a tiny bit though. I guess I need more time to think about the story and the way it was told.
All in all, a very powerful picture. Worth seeing.


Oh yes, and the trailer:

No comments: